slides: Rhode Island’s 5 Best ‘Hidden Gem’ Bars
Thursday, April 10, 2014
This newer breed of "bar" is equal parts cool vibe, locally-sourced ingredients and passion.
We set out to find 5 good spots for you to venture out of your comfort zone and try something new and spectacular...
Related Slideshow: Great Local Haunts
The West Side’s representative on the list answers a long-posed question: Why can’t a cool, hip bar feature vegan and vegetarian food? Why does it have to be wings? Well, the Grange is all local and all veggie. The same folks that have been bringing vegan to Providence since 1971 are behind this tremendous stop. The Kingsfoil is our go-to cocktail here. Gin, honey liqueur, Chartreuse and bee pollen make a perfect drink for our tastes. The deviled eggs and poutine are standouts on the bar menu.
166 Broadway. 401-831-0600
This tiny spot is home to one of our favorite cocktail impresarios, Jay Carr. We first fell in love with his libations at The Dorrance and have followed him since. When he opened his own spot, we knew that he would provide a proper atmosphere to enjoy a drink. The food is just enough to complement. You can’t go wrong with the Sazerac at the Eddy. The most classic of all New Orleans cocktails, this combination of rye, absinthe, Peychaud bitters, sugar and lemon peel is as classic as the Big Easy herself. The snacks are perfect: cheese, charcuterie, eggs—it’s all here.
95 Eddy St. 401-831-3339
The coolest bar and food cities always seem to have one of those hidden bars, a place where you really need to know where you are going to find it, but once you do, you’re hooked. What if we told you that there was a cool bar in Olneyville hidden behind a lingerie shop? Well, that is Justine’s. The vibe is a classic speakeasy. You can purchase lingerie before or after the drinks, and the snacks are excellent. We loved the selections of olives and almonds. Both were fresh and just salty enough to keep you enjoying the craft cocktails.
11 Olnyville Sq. 401-454-4440
Federal Hill gets into the act with the always fun Lili Marlene’s. Delicious drinks combine with heavenly burgers and free pool to make this a terrific hang-out spot for friends or a fun date night. We are the Martinis and this we can tell you that this place makes one of the best around. The other standouts here are the mouthwatering burgers. The buttery, toasted rolls are the ones you remember from childhood and the burgers are cooked correctly every time we’ve had them.
422 Atwell’s Ave. 401-751-4996.
- Rhode Island’s Best Lobster Rolls 2013
- Rhode Island’s Best Upcoming Food Events
- Rhode Island’s Best BLT’s
- Rhode Island’s Best Margaritas
- Rhode Island’s Best and Worst Cities and Towns for Walkers
- Rhode Island’s Best Chowder + Clam Cakes 2013
- Rhode Island’s Best Neighborhood Eateries
- Rhode Island’s Best Communities 2013: #39 to #1
- Rhode Island’s Best New Food Trucks
- Rhode Island’s Best Fall Foods + Where To Eat Them
- Rhode Island’s Best Restaurant Roofs and Decks
- Rhode Island’s Best Fall Pasta Dishes + Where To Get Them
- Rhode Island’s Best Spots For Outdoor Dining
- Rhode Island’s Best Hospitals - New US Ranking
- Rhode Island’s Best Summer Foods You Have To Eat Before Labor Day
- Rhode Island’s Best Late-Night Food Spots
- Rhode Island’s Best Summer Music Festivals