NEW: DePetro AP Award Blasted by For Our Daughters Chair
Thursday, April 10, 2014
"I'd be curious for someone to explain the criteria for receiving this award. If misogyny and dehumanizing women is on the list, then I would agree that they found their man," said Martin.
De Petro's win in the Talk Show Division "B" Radio category is one of over 45 AP awards that were announced this week for Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
DePetro on the Record
"It is great to win best talk show, because it is so competitive, I work really hard on my show, and it is rewarding to be recognized for it. My philosophy is simple. I like to do an entertaining show on current events, with conflict. The listeners enjoy my sense of humor and the caller interaction is tremendous," said DePetro, who noted he last won an AP award in 2008.
DePetro continued, "You always have critics regardless of what you say or do, so thin skinned politicians and the unions upset over my criticism was par for the course. The listeners ( the people) love my radio show and that is all that really matters."
Last month, the For Our Daughter campaign protested two show sponsors, Place Jewelers and The Remington House, in an ongoing effort to oust DePetro after the host labeled a group of women assembled outside a fundraiser for RI General Treasurer Gina Raimondo as “w-h-o-r-e-s" in a radio broadcast last September.
Related Slideshow: Infamous Talk Radio Controversies
Arbitron Ratings Scandal
In 2008, radio host John DePetro found himself in the midst of a ratings controversy. The Boston Herald reported,
The briefly stellar ratings of controversy-dogged-talkmeister John DePetro’s Providence radio show tanked yesterday after a whiff of scandal forced Arbitron to reissue its spring survey of listener-dial habits.
Buddy's Return - to Radio
After five years in prison for racketeering conspiracy from 2002 to 2007, former Mayor of Providence Buddy Cianci returned to the public eye with a radio show on WPRO.
While controversial, Cianci's continued popularity has people wondering if Buddy might just make another run for Mayor in 2014.
Chafee's Talk Radio Ban
Upon taking office in 2011, Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee announced that he would not appear on talk radio shows and barred state employees in agencies and departments that report to him from doing the same during work hours.
Governor Chafee is among the elected officials who have signed the "For Our Daughters" pledge.
Dennis and Callahan
WEEI sports radio hosts John Dennis and Gerry Callahan were suspended in 2003 when they referred to an escaped gorilla as a "Metco gorilla" waiting for a bus to Lexington -- with Metco being bus program that buses inner-city students to suburban schools.
Boston's http://www.wcvb.com/Radio-Station-Gorilla-Remarks-Spur-Advertiser-Concerns/-/9849586/11281756/-/5lg3o9z/-/index.html#ixzz2nbPAwzd2" target="_blank">WCVB reported that advertisers Dunkin' Donuts and Blue Cross pulled back station support in light of the incident.
WTKK's Jay Severin was fired for making comments about sleeping with female employees over the years.
Radio Ink reported on Greater Media's reaction to the incident.
"Greater Media today ended its relationship with Jay Severin. Our company has always encouraged a free and open dialogue on a variety of issues and topics, and we will continue to be guided by that principle. But we also demand that our on-air talent maintain an appropriate level of civility, and adhere to a standard that respects our listeners and the public at large.
Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is no stranger to controversy; his latest remarks prompted the Democratic National Committee to call on Republican leaders to boycott the Daily Caller, which defended Limbaugh's remarks in an article entitled, "Liberals want to stop men from checking out women."
- Exclusive: Dumping DePetro In Morning Hurting WPRO-AM
- Who is More Polarizing? Chafee or DePetro
- Read the Complaint Against DePetro
- NEW: DePetro Accuses Martin and Dufault of Being Behind Threats
- NEW: Lawyer Says DePetro is ‘Completely Innocent’
- Russell Moore: DePetro: Stay or Go, It’s About the Dough
- Arthur Schaper: DePetro Boycott and Exeter Recall (Oh Boy!)
- NEW: RI Gov Chafee Calls for Talk Show Host DePetro to be Fired
- Arthur Schaper: Who’s Pushing the DePetro Boycott?
- NEW: DePetro’s Attorney Blasts Governor Chafee
- NEW: Rhode Island GOP Boycotts WPRO, Demand DePetro’s Termination
- BREAKING: Block, First GOP Candidate Comes Out for DePetro’s Firing
- NEW: For Our Daughters to Protest Two DePetro Sponsors on Saturday
- NEW: WPRO’s DePetro Suspended
- DePetro Controversy Sparks First Amendment Debate
- Top 10 of 2010: Frank Caprio & John DePetro
- NEW: WPRO’s John DePetro Claims He Was Threatened Says Lawyer
- EXCLUSIVE: DePetro Suspended Until January
- Voters to Obama: ‘Shove It’ By John DePetro
- NEW: WPRO’s John DePetro Sued For Sexual Harassment
- WPRO’s John DePetro Apologizes
- NEW: Watson Appearance Chaos on DePetro’s Show